I love reading about other people’s love stories or how it all worked out. My story is a little different then most. I’ll spare you and leave the long dramatic details out. But I married my first date. Sounds like cake right? I’m pretty sure it was actually one of the craziest roads of my life. Here’s a readers digest version:
I met this handsome when I was 15.
After dating in high school we went our separate ways. There was a time when we didn’t see each other for a few years (I called off a wedding that was headed for disaster during that time). There were some pretty painful years and we both had a lot of growing up to do. Then one day we happened to cross paths after 4 years. Timing is everything because after 8 years of knowing each other, this time was perfect. It’s never felt like that with anyone I had ever dated.
We quickly got engaged and married 2 months later. 3 apartments, 1 baby, 1 bachelor’s degree, a few jobs, 2 states, and a million laughs later, I’ve come to love him more than I ever thought I could. He will hate me for bragging about him, but I honestly couldn’t be a mom without all that he does and the support he gives to me (my heart goes out to those moms who have to do it alone). He’ll be exhausted from work and look at my tired eyes from a restless night or long day and tell me to go lay down or take a break. There’s no one I would ever be able to do this life with. He makes my world bright even on the darkest days and knows how to get passed my stubborn ‘tude and make me laugh my hardest laugh.
Happy 3rd anniversary to the kid I still love to pull pranks on and flirt with.
(videos: Haugen Creative)
Here are some of my top fav memories with you from even from our old school days (I usually do this in my notes to him on our anniversary but thought I’d share a couple…don’t mind the cheese fest!):
1. When I was 15, you were 16 and I thought you were the coolest thing to be able to drive.
2. One time I called you after we just met and you answered “Al’s plumbing?” and I hung up immediately thinking I called the wrong number.
3. When I disguised a dog treat as a chocolate dessert and you actually took a bite out of it on April Fool’s Day. (ha! I still laugh so hard remembering the face you pulled after you realized what you just ate.)
4. Getting “busted” by the cops for trespassing and you told me to run and hide while you walked in front of his headlights so that you would be the one to get in trouble instead of me.
5. Sitting in A.P. history and passing folded “notes” back and forth, my laugh would get me in trouble every time.
6. Sneaking a kiss in the photography developing room…no wonder that was your favorite class!
7. After the 4 years of not seeing each other you asked me out on a “catch up date” and we celebrated my birthday, Christmas, and other holidays to catch up for the lost time. We drove down the canyon, favorite tunes on and windows down. I can’t describe it other than feeling completely alive. Loved that night!
8. You proposing in the hot air balloon, and then when we went a year later and I was pregnant and blacked out almost needing an emergency landing. Ha! Total fail thinking it would be a cool pregnancy announcement.
9. Watching you be a dad for the first time. I used to force newborns in your arms so that you could practice (haha! I’m so rude.) Come to find out, the newborn thing was more your thing than mine and you’re a total natural. Nothing sweeter than watching you be a dad.
10. Going on road trips, dates, and crazy adventures with you. Love making “big” plans and actually following through. Can’t wait for the ones we have coming soon.
Love you forever Charlie Brown.